Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Let's get down to business

As I've strolled around campus this semester, filling my brain with gallons of meaningful knowledge I'm sure to use later in life, I've noticed something that frustrates me. Every once in a while, while walking through masses of teeming students, one stands out because they are...well...they're just hot. Or good looking, attractive, fetching. Take your pick. Most the time, the person doesn't even see you, which is fine, makes it easier to stare at him. But sometimes, you make eye contact and when that happens, you've got about .2 seconds to smile with your eyes and a little bit with your mouth (too much would be creepy) and make the best first impression you've ever made in your life before he looks you up and down, frowns and keeps walking. Big confidence booster right there.

But there are those select times when you make eye contact, smile a little bit and they actually smile back. You both keep walking, you sneak a glance back, see him glance back, too, and then you're walking on air for the rest of the day. Problem is when you realize that the chances of you ever seeing that person again are about as likely as my brothers not ever going bald. Then you might be like, well what the heck, that guy was really attractive and what if he's the one and I never see him again and then I never get married and I live alone and I die a virgin?! You might think that, but in my experience it's best to stay calm. Brush off the encounter, go on with your day, and never think of it again. Ahem.

Well yesterday, this same thing happened, but it was different. I was in the library, sitting with Jonathan and Stephen, having a pleasant conversation, when two guys walked past our table. I made eye contact with one and thought, hmmm, I'd like me some of that suga'. But I didn't smile. I kept watching him as he walked away and he sort of side glanced back, but when he saw I was watching him he tried to cover it up by checking his backpack. Sneaky boy. So then I was like, this is so sad, I'll never even see that guy again. Oh well. But then, then, I was studying at the Institute and you'll never guess who walked up those stairs. Sneaky boy! And guess what happened next. We made eye contact! And he tried to act all smooth by looking away and continuing to walk and then he ran into a chair. And I laughed inside. And as he walked down the hall, I looked at him again and caught him looking right back at me. He he.

So, now I have a small hope that I've broken the I-saw-a-hot-guy-today-but-I'll-never-see-him-again pattern. Will I see Sneaky Boy again? Who knows. But at least I know that out of the 30 thousand some odd people that pretend to be students at the U, there is a 1 in 30 thousand chance that I might see the hot ones more than once. That oughtta be enough to make me jump out of bed every morning.

3 comments:

Amy said...

If you see him again then you MUST say something to him. I believe in fate and so should you and everyone else.

Sarah said...

Hahaha. So there was a guy in one of my classes with whom this happened. But I wasn't attracted, just shocked by his striking resemblance to George Michael. I saw him all the time but never spoke. Then I saw him in an elevator one day and he asked if I was in his philosophy class... I accidentally sorta shouted NO bc I felt awkward and didn't want to admit I always thought of arrested development while looking at him...it was so loud so of course i had to save my pride and gave him a rude look. He hurried out of the elevator. We still see each other and I pretend I don't know him. Ugh.

Jonathan said...

If I go bald you're never seeing chair runner again