Thursday, May 13, 2010

Well THAT was fun...

So today, for lunch we went to this Islam restaurant and we had the choice between chicken or beef and rice or noodles so I chose chicken and rice. Sounds safe right? So we sit down and start eating and I'm thinking, "Mmm, this is pretty good". Next thing you know, I feel a little pop in my mouth and I feel a nice burning sensation. So then I think, "Well that's pretty normal, things are always spicy in Thailand, it's expected", so I continue eating. Then, POP, another one, POP another one, POP another one. Now my lips and tongue have gone numb. At this point, it's more like "How come the person right across from me is eating the same thing as me and is NOT having a fire burning in her mouth?!?" So I ask, "What the heck is going on?!" And Dave tells me, "Holly, those are peppers you're eating there, and they're not just peppers, they're like really really HOT peppers" and I think, "Why yes, yes they are" as I sniff the snot back up my nose and wipe the tears from my eyes. Then I go to reach for my Coke because naturally a liquid will help calm this blazing heat in my mouth and bring back feeling to my tongue and Rose yells, "Holly! Don't drink carbonation, it'll make it even worse!" So after drinking who knows how much water, Dave traded his plate with me and I was able to finish eating the rest of his meal while he snarfed down my food because he likes having a fire party in his mouth. So yep, turns out the things I though were chives were most definitely NOT chives. Thank you Thailand, you always provide me with a good party in my mouth and awesome eating adventures. I have learned now to expect the unexpected and ask what you're eating before you eat it. Although, when you don't ask and just eat, it provides some nice entertainment for those eating at the table with you.

Holly

1 comment:

Amy said...

Sounds like you guys are living it up, wish I was there!

Oh, and riding an elephant is on my list of things to accomplish. So-- yeah.